Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Triptych: Self Visualization Concept

My ideas for my Digital Triptych (Self-Visualization) project, center on my love for sports. For the first picture, I have decided to choose a picture of myself playing basketball when I was younger. This will achieve “my history and where I come from” in the project concept column. It shows my history, because it was in the past when I was around age 8. From an athletic career standpoint, it shows where I came from, in comparison to where I am now. It describes how my skills were still improving as I was learning the sport of basketball. This also connects with the overall theme of my triptych. It shows a journey of my athletic career in basketball, how I grew both athletically, and as a person. The second picture will be a picture of me during one of my high school varsity basketball games. It will complete “What I strive for, as well as events in my life”. It shows what I strive for, with my attempting to be seen as an athlete who had what it took to be recruited to play college basketball. I not only had the determination to do the best I could on the court, but also with my academics. I know how important it is for me to succeed academically to have a bright, and successful future. I believe that this picture also shows “the events in my life” on two occasions. First, the story of basketball for my life will help anyone to understand the type of person that I am; a leader, team player, and over-achiever, and having a good attitude. Leader because I am a point guard who needs to lead my team during the game; off the court I took my leadership to the classroom when I was accepted into the peer-leadership program in my high school. Team player, because I was the one to distribute the ball, and be unselfish. I consider myself over-achiever, by never accepting failure in my life under any circumstance. Secondly, the picture shows a monumental moment in my life, if you focus on my right knee in the picture. You will notice a black cover over it, which covers the knee brace protecting my knee from further injury. My junior year in high school, I tore my ACL and needed reconstructive surgery, which helped me to re-evaluate my life. I realized there was more to life than the game of basketball, which helped my to succeed more in my academics, and overall attitude towards life. The trophy in the picture symbolizes the journey from hurting my knee, to surgery, to achieving my goal to rehabilitate and play college basketball. The reason why I chose this photo as the middle picture of my triptych is because it tells the story of my injury, which was the main point in my basketball career that showed my determination to continue my journey to becoming a college athlete. The third picture of my triptych will be a picture of myself playing basketball in a college game. It will complete both “important physical attributes, as well as what I look like from my viewpoint or from others’”. First, it continues to show my physical strength, by focusing on my right knee, and realizing that I no longer have to wear my knee brace from the previous picture. It shows that because if my hard work during my rehabilitation paid off because I not only continued to play instead of giving up the game, but it also shows that my physical strength gave me the ability to play. It helps to explain, “what I look like from others” because the picture shows me directly as a player who is being guarded heavily, showing that I have my guard up towards adversity. I believe that from seeing this that people will understand that I am an independent person who is able to take care of myself without the help from others. Also, others may view me as someone who has accomplished a great amount athletically to be able to compete on the college level in basketball. The emotion on my face is descriptive enough to show others that I can achieve whatever is put in front of me, because by looking back at the two other pictures in my triptych, I have grown dramatically.

Why did I choose to go with the theme of my journey from a young athlete to a college athlete? It is easier for me to express myself through athletics, because that is something that came easy to me in life. By showing myself as a young basketball player, it begins my long arduous journey in life. My high school years proved to be difficult because of the roadblock that I hit with my injury. Through my injury, I grew as a person more than anything, which is why I chose it as a focal point in my triptych. While my project shows my journey though sports, the middle photo shows my journey through adversity. The final photo shows where I currently am, which I consider a great accomplishment. I am proud of my achievements so far in life, on and off the court.

No comments:

Post a Comment